We need your help! The state Senate released its budget yesterday and did NOT include funding for the WTA or any tourism programs as our Bridge Funding request would have provided. Please contact your state legislators TODAY and ask they include funding in the budget for tourism.
Include in your message:
- After the Legislature closed the State Tourism Office, the Washington Tourism Alliance (WTA) was formed. This private industry organization is providing essential marketing efforts to maintain a presence and keep our state on the radar screen of tourists
- WTA is requesting a one-time appropriation of $1.275M for the 2013-15 biennium. The purpose of this request is to provide for the basics of a statewide tourism marketing program until we get a mechanism in place to finance such a program from industry assessments
- This appropriation request would allow the WTA to continue, and in some instance put in place, the elements of a statewide marketing program
- Funding will go to website development, postage for fulfillment pieces, operation of a call center, research, and international marketing – all of these items are essential to promoting tourism in Washington State
Tell your lawmakers that
Tourism Matters to Washington State!
Let them also know:
Tourists spend money
- Total direct visitor spending was estimated to be $16.9 billion in 2012
- International tourists spent $1.9 billion in Washington State in 2012, representing 13 percent of all tourism spending in the state
Tourists pay taxes
More than $1 billion in local/state tax revenue in 2012!
Tourists support jobs
- 153,300 jobs and $4.7 billion in earnings in Washington State!
Feel free to expand on these points and explain why funding for tourism matters to you and your community!
* Source: Washington State Travel Impacts, 2012, Washington Tourism Alliance/Dean Runyan Associates.
To find and contact your legislators:
To identify your legislators visit www.leg.wa.gov and select ‘find my district’ tab
Call the legislative hotline at 800-562-6000
Find your legislator’s email address here.